Sunday, September 27, 2009

Watch out – You may be paying more

Watch out – You may be paying more
You probably just assume that the amount a grocery store item is priced is the amount you pay, right? Wrong.” I assumed the same until I discovered otherwise.
We are oblivious to the fact that the person at the cash register might not be doing the right thing, deliberately or inadvertently. However, my friends, this may be incorrect, keep a tab on your hard-earned money. A few months ago, I decided to take note on what I get charged item-by-item and was surprised to see incorrect charges appear from a local grocery store, on my receipt. Since then, I decided to keep an eye out and ensure that I am paying for what I am getting. The person at cash register always has some or other excuses, giving some or other unconvincing reasons. Keep a close eye; particularly when there is no description about items in your receipt, this is mostly the case when you buy groceries from small shops (deliberately avoiding specific names). Here are some sample instances from a local small shop that I remember:
• One item appeared twice as “Misc” in the receipt. This happened three times in past 3 months.
• The price of one item was charged differently than what was displayed. When detected, the cashier blamed the computer. This happened once since I started monitoring, 3 months ago.
• One item that I did not even buy made into my receipt. This happened twice in past 3 months.
• You also need to watch-out for an expired item.
Unfortunately, I had almost 50% error-rate from a particular store, in past 3 months.
Though such things are unusual in a branded store, can you 100% rule out the possibility? I happened to see inconsistencies between the computer price and the display price. Such inconsistencies are more frequent particularly when the item is on sale – Watch out.
My friends, it is your money. You can use this money for charity, for helping people who are in need. Do not fritter away your hard-earned money.

No comments: